Monday, March 27, 2006

We're all toast!!!

How easy is it to crack the passwords on your Windows PC? It is this easy. As extracted from the Ophcrack description: "Just put it* into the CD-ROM drive, reboot and it will try to find a Windows partition, extract its SAM and start auditing the passwords." Yes... we're all toast.
I tested it on my PC. The first password was cracked within seconds... yes you read this right... seconds, not minutes, not hours. With the default alphanumerical tables, I got partials for other passwords. If I had downloaded the latest tables, I suspect that all passwords would have been broken.
How do we counter this? Make sure you have a complex password** and make sure nobody sticks a CD into your CD-ROM when you are not around.

* Burn Ophcrack onto a CD.
** Your password will be eventually cracked but at least give the bugger a harder time.

No comments: