Friday, July 20, 2007

"Not Defined"

I was clearing some mails when a sys admin approached me for help. It turned out that he was having problems logging into a Windows server and needed my help. He couldn't log in even though he was a 100% sure that he knew what the password was. I promptly burned Ophcrack into a CD and popped it into his server.
Ophcrack went about its job of cracking the passwords of accounts residing on that system. While waiting for the cracking to complete, I noted that the root account was listed as "Not Defined". I found that strange as I had never seen an account listed as "Not Defined". The sys admin commented that it was probably due to the OS hardening configurations but I doubted that as the other account names were displayed just fine. My colleague suspected that the account information on the hard disk was probably corrupted.
The cracking was completed and the password revealed. I went back to the Windows login page. I entered the root user name and cracked password into the login window. Failed. I tried variations of the user name and password but still no luck. Then it struck me, the user name is probably what was listed in Ophcrack. I tried the user name "Not Defined"... lo and behold... it worked!!!
That was when I had to stifle my laughter. The other admin who hardened the server had mistaken the remark "Not Defined" in the hardening guideline as the mandatory name to rename the root account!!! "Not Defined" actually means that there is no recommended configuration and that the admin is free to ignore that config or use their own preferred config. In fact, other sections of the hardening document has "Not Defined" remarks for several configurations so I was not sure why he got confused by it. OMG!!! Bloody hilarious. I couldn't help but laugh for about 15 minutes after my work was done.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This story is hilarious!