Sunday, July 08, 2007

Live Earth

Was watching "Live Earth" on TV and it struck me... I would like to know how much of the global energy consumption is attributable to Internet-related activites? The Internet is available to millions of people worldwide 24x7 and I believe that a lot of energy is used up to ensure its availability and resilience.
I decided to put my Googlefu to work. It was estimated that 8% of the total American energy consumption in 1999 was used by Internet-related equipment. That is mind boggling when you contemplate the fact that the Internet has exploded since 1999. Internet traffic is growing at an annual rate of 40% since 1999 and the number of Internet users has also grown exponentially resulting in the number of Internet devices increasing. All these factors point to increased electricity consumption. Will the equipment manufacturers please manufacture devices that consume less electricity or find alternative power sources for them?

No comments: