Monday, September 15, 2008

Full fledged advocate

I am now a committed full-time anti-Apple advocate after recent issues with my Macbook. It started acting up last Thursday and attempts to remediate it last Saturday came to no avail. I spent the whole day trying everything I could think of. I zeroed the hard drive... I wiped it with 7 passes... I partitioned the drive into 2... I tried Dban but it wouldn't run because of "kernel panic"... I tried verifying and repairing the drive... I attempted to install Windows XP... I used both Mac OS X Tiger and Leopard install DVDs... I prayed... I threatened... I cleaned the DVDs... I practiced patience by letting the install run overnight... but the damn Macbook refused to cooperate!
Who the hell in the world sells laptops with a 1 year warranty??? Even all my hard drives* at home come with 5 year warranties! My Linksys router failed at the same time but at least they are replacing it for me FOC... thanks to their 3 year warranty. Ridiculous considering that the Linksys router costs S$129 and the laptop S$1800+. Linksys offers free 24x7 telephone and online support for my S$129 investment. Apple? They won't entertain my call because my 1 year warranty for my S$1800+ product has expired. In fact, they wanted to charge me A$49 to troubleshoot my product over the phone.
Apple products are designed to look good but not meant for practical everyday use. My iPod Shuffle earphones didn't work after weeks of usage. Not months... not years... but WEEKS!!! Noticed how people have to buy tons of accessories to protect Apple products? You have to buy iPod covers... laptop covers... keyboard protectors... LCD films... laptop coolers... "accessory bombs" I call them (ie. Apple products). Apple is good at marketing and hype... I have to hand that to them.
I own an iPod Shuffle and Macbook... it's definitely the last items that I buy from Apple. ~!@#$%^&* expensive piece of crap**. I suggest you do the same. With inflation at a high, there are better ways of spending your hard earned $.

* Seagate is the only hard drive manufacturer to offer 5 year warranty. The competitors offer 3.
** I got it as part of a bundle. I'm still paying for something that doesn't work on a monthly basis and I have a year of payments to go.

No comments: