Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Don't be a victim

I recently blogged about receiving a phishing URL via IM. The common phishing vector is the use of emails with the most notorious of all being the "Nigerian scam". Phishing emails are so common that I usually just mark them as "spam" (if they were not already filtered by my spam filter) and forget about them. What intrigued me about this specific one was that it was sent to an Information Security mailing list I subscribe to... which Security professional is going to take the bait? There's even a typo in it. Haha.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey hey! apparently I also won 800K USD in a lottery I didn't take part in...haa..haa. bloody scammers. Anyways, found an awesome site where one could check/report such things. Assume u wld already know - but here goes!
http://www.scamomatic.com/

nephos said...

Hmmmm... interesting site... I will look into it. There are many other resources online that you can utilise and Gmail does a pretty decent job of detecting spam/phishing mails. A healthy dose of paranoia and common sense is sufficient in most cases.