Sunday, August 06, 2006

Exploits

Testing is part and parcel of a security professional's life. In order to combat the baddies, we have to actually test out exploits. Besides being a necessity, successfully exploiting a vulnerability is a real rush! Made video clips* of me exploiting the RealVNC Server authentication bypass vulnerability using a modified VNC Viewer written by Blacksecurity and another using Metasploit.
I installed a virtual machine running Win XP to simulate a remote PC. It has a vulnerable version of RealVNC Server software running for me to exploit. I use Nmap to identify that v4.x is running on that "remote" machine. I successfully logged onto that server using the VNC Viewer software after entering the user password. I later use a modified version of the VNC Viewer software by Blacksecurity to gain remote access to the vulnerable machine without authenticating myself.

I compromise the same vulnerability by launching the exploit provided with Metasploit from another virtual machine running BackTrack.

Damn shiok.

* I suggest downloading the clips and viewing them on your PC. Found it hard to view them from my browser.

No comments: