Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Patriotism

I consider myself a patriotic Singaporean. I do my part by fulfilling my NS commitments (grudgingly so). I sing the National Anthem at public events eg. NDP rehearsals and Singapore Football International matches (only if the rest of the crowd is singing). This year's NDP theme is my current mobile ringtone.
The whole "furor" or "euphoria" (depending on which event you're talking about) has left me with mixed emotions. The choice of Li Jiawei as flag bearer did surprise me when I was watching the opening ceremony live. I didn't notice her dragging the flag on the ground or her unenthusiastic demeanor while watching the event live but I wasn't astonished by her behaviour upon reviewing the "incident" again. How would you feel if you were made to return to your home country bearing another country's flag? Awkward definitely. I was nonchalant when they announced that the Table Tennis team had struck Silver at the Olympics. I'm not a Table Tennis fan... if Singapore struck Football Gold with a team of Brazilians... I wouldn't have a care in the world and would be running amok on the streets. Haha.
Naturalized athletes are part and parcel of sports now. Get over it. I just watched 2 Brazilians represent Georgia in Olympics Beach Volleyball the other night. Hmmmm... but they did look more enthusiastic when they won their quarterfinal game as they wrapped themselves with the Georgian flag and danced with spectators in the stands.

No comments: