Monday, October 03, 2005

Ridiculous!!!

I know this is an old topic but it still worries me quite a bit. What am I referring to? I'm talking about the idea of jailing people for trying to cheat on their public transport fares. It makes me wonder who comes up with these regulations? Are they people who actually take the public transports themselves or are some high and mighty people who drive themselves to work or have chauffeurs? Are these people qualified to make decisions that are in the best interests of the public?
I am a proud Singaporean but it saddens me when we have to resort to draconian methods to tackle issues. You have to hand out penalties that are equivalent to the "crime". I think that people who do not pay their fare or cheat on their fare deserve a heavy monetary fine at best. Jail? Its bloody ridiculous and an overkill.
SMRT (whom already earn truckloads of $$$ anyway) won't even benefit from these parties getting jailed. Can't they give their customers the benefit of a doubt that they may have forgotten to pay their fare or consider it charity for those who may be poor and can't afford to pay the full fare?

No comments: