Friday, August 07, 2009

Choices

We are forced to make choices every single day. I often get chided for taking my time in making up my mind. I'm told that it is not difficult to make a decision. I disagree... it is hard because every choice we make has serious consequences. Dramatic am I? I have a good example to prove my point. When I was in my previous company, I was faced with a situation of choosing a candidate to fill a position. I made my choice. My pick joined the firm and his life would change forever. He was one of 3 new employees who joined on the same day. Of the 3, one of them was a lady who would become his current GF. They are getting
married in October.
Fate? Coincidence? God? I shudder to think how things would have been different had I chosen someone else to take on the vacancy. This reminds me of the movie "Sliding doors".

3 comments:

Silver Bullet said...

The thing is, if you would've picked someone else, different things would have happened and you would not know about the girlfriend, marriage etc. That's why it's pointless to worry or think about such things. Yes, this choice had a consequence, but so would a different choice. For all you knew, with more impact than the one you made. It's not fate, god, just pure coincidence. It's only because the human mind limits people to see the bigger picture, that they tend to attribute this to a higher power.

nephos said...

Very profound. Are you a philosopher?

Silver Bullet said...

I don't mind a little bit of philosophy from time to time :p