Saturday, September 10, 2005

Preferential treatment!!!

I was having a blast having dinner with April, Jim and Fenn at Fisherman's Wharf.


That was until we came across an incident of preferential treatment!!! It's always disgusting seeing Asians grovelling at the feet of Ang Mohs. For goodness sakes, they're not the only people paying good $$$. This place had a sign put up blatantly declaring that it was self-service but they went to the Ang Mohs table to take their order as evidenced below!!! They did not do the same for all the other people in the restaurant. My take? Asians have this inferiority complex that was inculcated from the Colonial days when we had to "serve" the Ang Mohs. People!!! Snap out of it... they pee and shit too just like us.
Disclaimer: I'm not racist. I have caucasian friends too. DB can vouch for me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Full Disclosure: I'm a scary Ang Mo!
OK let me answer Merv's questions from an Ang Mo point of view:
There could me a hundred different reasons why the girl might have approached the table to serve the foreign devils:
1. It sometimes happens to me that I walk into a restaurant in Singapore and I ask my gf, do we serve ourselves or does someone come to us? It's not always very obvious. As a foreigner I sometimes make the mistake of waiting for service when I should be serving myself. It works with bill payment too. It's very common in Singapore to take your bill to the counter and pay on the way out. This is very uncommon in the west. So give them the benefit of the doubt. The foreign devils didn't realise it was self service and the girl didn't want to create an embarrassing situation by asking them to get up when they were already seated.
2. People have a natural desire to please foreigners and make sure they have good things to say about their country. Call it national pride. I'd want to ensure that a Singaporean visiting my country went home with good things to say about Ireland even if it meant giving them preferential treatment.
3. Maybe the foreign devils were part of a visiting paraplegic olympic baskbetball team and left their wheelchairs outside the restaurant and couldn't self serve.
4. Maybe the foreign devils were undercover for a famous international food critic magazine and will go back home and write how wonderful the restaurant service is in Singapore.
5. Maybe these people are regular customers and the lady serving has a huge crush on one of the male foreign devils and just this simple act of kindness means that he asked her out and they'll have lovely half foreign devil babies in the future.

Now my question. Why are Singaporeans so disparaging of foreigners? Why do they begrudge them their existence? Why do they hold them up to such ridiculously high standards? We're just mortals too. In the service industry in general don't be afraid to go the extra mile. Service in Singapore needs some shaking up too. I'm not racist either. I chose to make Singapore my home so it can't be all that bad. ;)

nephos said...

Thanks for sharing Mixmaster. You're the man!!!